Sound By-law

Enforcement of the Sound By-law is split between the City of London and the London Police Service.

Read the by-law


The City of London recognizes that, at certain times, noise can negatively impact our quality of life and disturb household activities. When Municipal Compliance becomes involved, we hope that a resolution may be achieved which is satisfactory to all parties.

To learn more about different types of noise and how to formally submit a complaint view the page below: 

Occupant noise complaints: London Police Services and the City of London Municipal Compliance Office partner to address concerns regarding noise generated by occupants on a premise (parties and loud music for example). To register a complaint please contact the police non-emergency line at 519-661-5670. Police will triage the call and either attend themselves or refer the matter to the City for response.

Dog barking and Construction Noise: To register a complaint about excessive noise such as construction outside of the exemption period, persistent noise such as barking dogs or noisy mechanical equipment such as an air conditioner or pool pump email or call 519-661-4660.   Upon receipt of a complaint, the following process takes place:

  • A notice from Municipal Compliance is sent to the owner/occupant of the property where the concern is located. Sometimes, an owner/occupant may not be aware of a problem and receipt of notice will correct the issue.
  • At the same time a notice and log sheet is sent to the complainant from Municipal Compliance. At this stage, all information with respect to the complainant (i.e. name, address) is kept strictly confidential. However, if the noise continues to negatively impact you, the City will require their involvement and cooperation to help bring closure to this matter.
  • In order to gather evidence with respect to the noise which has been brought to our attention, the complainant is required to record the following information in the prescribed format:

- Type of noise which is disturbing (i.e. dog barking, machinery)

- how the noise is disturbing (i.e. trying to sleep)

- the location on their property when the noise disturbed

- visual information about the source of noise (observed dog barking, type of dog)

- time of day noise disturbed

- how long the noise disturbed

  • Once the complainant has gathered the above information as prescribed in the notice, they are requested to contact our office to discuss enforcement action. Please note, that a formal complaint must be registered and notices sent out by Municipal Compliance in order to proceed with enforcement action. This ensures the occupant/owner has ample opportunity to take mitigating measures.
  •  The information collected will be entered as evidence if by-law charges commence. Should the penalty issued escalate to an appeal hearing, the complainant will be required to testify on the evidence collected in the presence of the occupant/owner of the property from which the noise has disturbed them. The complainant may also be asked questions by the alleged violator or their legal representative with respect to the evidence collected.

At the discretion of Municipal Compliance the same process may be applied to other noise disturbances as well.

How to Obtain a Temporary Sound Permit

A temporary sound permit application may be made for sound coming from a construction site, a community event, an outdoor patio or live speech. Review the appropriate application below to identify the required documentation and submit the application package to the City of London Licensing office.

Approved locations for Temporary Sound Permit

The following locations have approval for exemption from the Sound By-law for sound resulting from a community event, construction work, or amplified sound coming from an outdoor patio:

AddressBusinessDate RangeTime

18-1080 Adelaide Street North

Merla Mae Ice- creamJuly 21, 2024Between 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
1350 Huron St. (St. John the Baptist Church)Middle Eastern FestivalAugust 24-25, 2024 (2 days)Between 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. (midnight)
1276 Commissioners Road WestRoyal Canadian Legion - ByronAugust 10, 2024Between 2:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. 
Covent Garden Market, 130 King St.Caribbean Festival (Island Fest)July 26-28, 2024 (3 days)

July 26 & 27, 2024: Between 4:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. (midnight)

July 28, 2024: Between 11:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

100 Fullerton St.Old Oak PropertiesMarch 2024-July 2025 (Specific dates will be posted in advance of the days required for Old Oak Properties to pour concrete between 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. midnight)March 21, 2024: Between 6:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. midnight.
Approved locations for amplified sound from an outdoor patio

Amplified Sound from an Outdoor Patio 2024

AddressBusinessDate rangeTime
3800 Colonel Talbot RoadFC LondonJune 1 to September 30, 20241:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
1030 Elias StreetAnderson Craft AlesAugust 10, 202411:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
130 King StreetCovent Garden MarketAugust 16, 17 & 18, 202411:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
238 Dundas StreetThe Well (London)May to October 31, 2024

Thursdays & Fridays 5:00 p.m. - 11:59 p.m.

Saturdays, noon to midnight

Sundays, noon to 11:00 p.m.

133 Southdale Road W.Hellenic Community CentreJune 21, 22 & 23, 2024

Friday (June 21) 6:00pm to 11:00pm

Saturday (June 22) 3:00pm to 11:00pm

Sunday (June 23) noon to 8:00pm

319 King StDigital Extremes (*Parking Lot Activation)July 19 & July 20, 2024

Friday (July 19) 4:00pm - 10:00pm

Saturday (July 20) 8:00am to 11:59pm

134 Falcon StPortuguese Club of LondonJune 7, 8 & 9, 2024

Friday (June 7) and Saturday (June 8) 9:00am - 11:59pm

Sundary (June 9) 10:00am to 10:00pm




Last modified:Monday, June 24, 2024