Work Permits, Licensing and Certifications

If you are coming to London from outside of Canada, you may need a work permit in order to find employment. 

International Students intending to work while studying in Canada also need a work permit, in addition to their study permit and Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization. Learn more about student work requirements.

Note: Permanent residents do not require work permits. Refugees do require work permits and can receive assistance through some of the settlement services.


Types of Work Permits

  • Open work permits allow you to work for any employer in Canada, except those on a specific list and/or those providing erotic services.
  • Employer-specific work permits allow you to work within specific conditions for a specific employer.

For more information about work permits or to find out if you qualify, review the Government of Canada website.

Extending your permit

Work permits in Canada have a time limit. If your work permit is going to expire, you can complete an application for an extension of that permit (which would allow you to continue working for a longer period of time). You can apply for a permit extension here.

Alternatively, a special application for a “bridging permit” could extend your working period while you wait for the results of a permanent residence application. To find out if you’re eligible for a bridging permit, follow the questionnaire and learn your next steps.

International Experience Program permits are only extended in rare instances. To learn more about those extensions, visit the International Experience Program website.

Work permits for youth

For youth, consider the International Experience Canada Program Permit. There are a variety of programs in Canada for young people ages 18-35 (for some countries ages 18-30) around the world, who are interested in working and/or traveling in Canada. These programs include working holidays, work exchanges, professional internships, and more. In most cases, this is a one-time opportunity with a specific time period of work.


Job Licensing

Depending on the type of job you want to apply for, you may need to get licensed to work in Ontario. Typically, these jobs include those that require certification from your home country, such as careers in medicine or skilled trades. 

WILL Access (formerly the Access Centre for Regulated Employment) gives information and support with applications for internationally-trained individuals wanting to get licensed to work in Ontario’s regulated professions, and for tradespersons who need to apply for the Trade Equivalency Assessment (TEA). The Access Centre can also give counselling, funding and loans, and other resources to foreign job seekers. Refer to their website for their list of regulated professions that require licenses. 

Last modified:Tuesday, June 27, 2023