The deadline to register to be a third party advertiser is Friday, October 21, 2022.
Registered Third Party Advertisers
CAMPAIGN LIFE COALITION
43 Becher St.
What is Third Party Advertising?
If a person, corporation or trade union intends to spend money between May 2, 2022 and election day, on advertisements or other materials that support, promote or oppose a candidate in the municipal election, or a question on the ballot, they are conducting third party advertising and must register with the City Clerk.
Third party advertiser registration must be certified by the City Clerk before they can accept any contributions or spend any money on advertising.
What isn't Third Party Advertising
- Advertisements by or under the direction of a candidate
- Issues-based advertising during the election period (with the exception of advertising that has the purpose of promoting, supporting or opposing a “yes” or “no” answer to a question on the ballot)
- Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media
- Messages distributed by:
- an individual to their employees
- a corporation to its shareholders, directors, members or employees
- a trade union to its members or employees
Involvement of a candidate in Third Party Advertising
Third party advertising must be done independently of candidates, who are not able to direct a third party advertiser. If a candidate wishes to purchase or direct their own election campaign advertising, they must follow rules under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 and identify themselves on their advertisements.
Third party advertisements must contain the following information:
- Name of the registered third party advertiser
- Municipality where the third party advertiser is registered
- Telephone number, mailing address, or email address at which the registered third party advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement
Third Party Advertising Complaints
If you believe that a Third Party Advertiser has contravened the Municipal Elections Act, please contact the Elections Office.