City Council has permitted fireworks for Diwali celebrations on November 12 between dusk and 11 p.m.
Londoners wishing to discharge consumer fireworks are reminded to keep safety top of mind and follow the Fireworks By-law pertaining to the discharge of fireworks.
You can only set off consumer fireworks (backyard displays):
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day
- Any other dates, as indicated by the Fireworks By-law.
To set off fireworks on any other day of the year, you’ll need to contact a professional display fireworks company. The fireworks supervisor from this company will apply to City of London Fire Services for a permit authorizing the display, at least 21 days prior to the proposed date of display.
Fireworks cannot be used on a public street, park or road without a permit. You should only buy fireworks from a licensed retailer.
No one under the age of 18 is allowed to discharge fireworks unless they are being directly supervised and under the control of an adult 18 years or older.
Setting off fireworks is only allowed on permitted days between dusk and 11:00 p.m.
If you’re planning on holding a commercial or public firework display, on private or public property, you’ll need to contact a professional display fireworks company. The fireworks supervisor from this company will apply to City of London Fire Services for a permit authorizing the display, at least 21 days prior to the proposed date of display.
Please take the following steps to minimize the risk of burns or fires:
- Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
- Carefully read and follow the directions on fireworks packaging.
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
- Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
- Keep family onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
- Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
- Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
- Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.
- Be respectful of your neighbours and mindful of pets.
- In the event of an emergency to life or property, call 9-1-1.
Firework questions or complaints
In the event of a fire or injury-related emergency, call 9-1-1.
To report a noise concern relating to fireworks after hours or on days when not permitted, please call 519-661-5670 and provide the exact address where the fireworks are occurring.
To report other fireworks-related concerns on Saturday, July 1 and Sunday, July 2 - i.e., unsafe discharge, fire hazards, please call 519-661-5615.
Fire related or unsafe discharge concerns regarding fireworks can also be submitted to email@example.com.
Sale of fireworks
Those selling fireworks in a pop-up trailer are required to obtain a business licence. Retailers with questions regarding licensing can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumer fireworks can only be sold on:
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day
- During the seven days immediately preceding Victoria Day and Canada Day.
- At such other times and such dates as permitted by Council by-law.
Events where a fireworks permit has been received
|Saturday, November 4, 2023||Victoria Park|
|Saturday, October 14, 2023||Western Alumni Stadium, 100 Philip Aziz Ave.|
|Saturday, September 8, 2023||10 Seabrook Way|
|Saturday, July 1, 2023||Byron Optimist Sports Complex, 651 Boler Rd.|
|Saturday, July 1, 2023||East Lions Park, 1731 Churchill Ave.|
|Saturday, July 1, 2023||Harris Park (Forks of the Thames), 70 Riverside Dr.|
|Saturday, July 1, 2023||Highland Country Club, 1922 Highland Heights|
|Saturday, July 1, 2023||White Oaks Park, 1119 Jalna Blvd|
|Saturday, July 1, 2023||London Hunt & Country Club, 1431 Oxford St. W.|
|Friday, June 30, 2023||Summerside Optimist, Meadowgate Park, 1165 Darnley Blvd|