Building permits

Due to COVID-19, we have amended our submission process for all applications pertaining to planning, development, building and licensing. Only digital applications will be accepted for all services. 

Inspections for building, plumbing, fire protection, sign and pool fences may be affected by amendments to regulations under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020.  Permitted inspections can be arranged by calling 519-661-2489 x 5287, emailing or through the Development and Business Portal (E-Portal).  

Development & Compliance Services staff and our partners are committed to working with you through the application process to provide support and assistance. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

How to apply for a building permit 

Residential and simple plumbing permits

Apply for simple residential building permits, plumbing permits and sign permits. Inspection information will be provided once the permit is issued.

 Development and Business Portal (E-Portal) 

This portal will allow you to:

  • apply for residential and plumbing permits online using a credit card
  • check the status of an application
  • schedule or cancel inspections
  • check inspection results

Register for the Development and Business Portal

Watch the new user registration how-to videoOnline portal registration questions or technical difficulties can be emailed to 

When is a permit required?

Projects that require a building permit
  • any structure occupying an area greater than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.) consisting of a wall, roof or floor, or a structural system, including all plumbing, works, fixtures and service systems that lead to or services that structure
  • any structure occupying an area of 10 m2 (108 sqft) or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing that lead to or services that structure
  • any addition to an existing building
  • any form of plumbing whether in a structure or not
  • replacement of a fire alarm panel or control unit
  • a sewage or septic system
  • "designated" structures as per the Ontario Building Code; (Division A-
  • any alterations to an existing building which affect the structural design of the building including mechanical, electrical*, plumbing services (no limit on size of building), fire separations, egress (exits), fire protection/suppression systems and/or changing the use of buildings or parts of a building
  • adding an additional dwelling unit 

*Note: Contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) for electrical permit information.

Examples of residential construction that requires a permit
  • decks attached to a building regardless of height
  • interior structural alterations
  • adding or removing most walls, (creating different room sizes and/or uses)
  • porches
  • basement or main floor walkout alterations
  • sunrooms, solariums
  • replacement of brick veneer
  • carports, attached or detached garages, sheds
  • dormers or finishing of attic space
  • installation of irrigation systems
  • additions
  • installation, repair of storm, sanitary and water service
  • finishing a basement or a portion thereof
  • furnace and ductwork replacements
  • installation of plumbing cleanouts
  • conversion from septic to sanitary sewer
  • plumbing and/or drains (except replacing fixtures)
  • insulating exterior walls when exterior or interior cladding is removed
  • new or structural alterations to windows or doors
  • installation or repair of private sewer systems and water service
  • backflow preventers for lawn irrigation systems
  • structural work related to fire damage
Projects that do not require a building permit
  • fences (other than for swimming pools)
  • asphalt roof shingling
  • eaves troughs
  • minor repairs to masonry
  • damp proofing basements
  • air conditioning units or heat pumps added to existing forced-air systems
  • kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
  • free-standing satellite dishes
  • replace existing forced-air furnace (no duct work alterations)
  • replacing siding or windows (provided there are no structural changes)
  • pool heaters
  • painting and decorating
  • landscaping
Demolition permits

Demolition permits are required for all buildings greater than 10 square metres (108 square feet), with the exception of farm buildings.

There are five steps to apply for a demolition permit: 

  1. Complete  a required clearances for demolition permit form
  2. Complete  the application for a permit to construct or demolish
  3. Complete  the  undertaking damage to City property form
  4. Prepare and submit a letter from the registered owner describing the building to be demolished (Including building use, structural characteristics of the building, and floor area being demolished)
  5. Submit the permit fee (see fee schedule for current rates)

To request forms, please email   

Emergency repair plumbing permits

If you are applying for a building permit to resolve an emergency plumbing issue in a single detached dwelling or row townhouse (i.e. a water service repair or installation, sanitary sewer repair or installation etc.), please make sure that  you include emergency plumbing repair in the description of proposed work field  on the application form.  

We will strive to issue the permit the same day the application is received. (Provided all applicable fees have been paid and applicable law has been complied with)

 Registered home builders

Use the Development and Business Portal (E-Portal) to submit permit applications and CAD drawings online for new single detached, semi-detached and row housing.

Inspection information will be provided once the permit is issued.

Industrial, commercial, institutional, large residential and demolition

Permit applications for industrial, commercial, institutional and large residential building types can be submitted in digital format only by emailing

Permit application forms


When is a permit required? (Commercial, Industrial, Institutional)
  • change of use (where construction is proposed or the change constitutes an increase in the hazard index)
  • interior renovations within a floor area affecting fire separations, exits or structural capacity
  • interior finishing of shell buildings for tenants (occupancies in commercial or industrial malls and office buildings, etc.)
  • fire and water damage affecting interior renovations within a floor area affecting fire separations, exits or structural capacity
  • additions to any building having a combined area of 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) or more
  • installations and major alterations of sprinkler, standpipe, fire alarm or mechanical (HVAC) systems
  • plumbing installation and alterations, except replacement of fixtures
  • installation or replacement of storm and sanitary sewers, water service (catch basins, weeping tile, clean-outs, change from septic system to sewers)
  • installation and repairs to sewage systems (septic systems and holding tanks)
  • installation of backflow preventers
  • retaining walls exceeding 1 metre (3 ft.- 3 inches) in exposed height adjacent to public property, to an access to a building, or on private property to which the public is admitted
  • tents greater than 60 m2 (645 sq. ft.)​

Upon receipt of application, the applicant will be contacted with instructions relating to payment and uploading of drawings and additional documents. 

Where do I send revisions or additional information for building permit applications?

Effective October 12, 2020 

Submission of revisions or additional information for a building permit application must be sent to the following email address The subject line must include the municipal address and permit application number.

Please note that the plans must be arranged and named as follows:

  • Architectural
  • Structural
  • Mechanical  - including HVAC and Plumbing
  • Electrical -  including fire alarm information
  • Sprinkler

All PDF plans must be unlocked so our review stamp can be added to them.

All submissions, for each category above must be in a single PDF file (addressing all deficiency items). Submitting revisions that address only certain items in the deficiency notice will result in delays.

Inspections - Building, plumbing and fire protection 

Inspections for building, plumbing, fire protection, sign and pool fences may be affected by amendments to regulations under the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, 2020.  Permitted inspections can be arranged by calling 519-661-2489 x 5287, emailing or through the Development and Business Portal (E-Portal).  

Any inspection requests that do not meet the current restriction criteria will be cancelled. 

For select inspections types, platforms such as FaceTime and WhatsApp are available, please contact your inspector for more information.

Inspection Criteria for new residential (single/semi-detached, townhouse) construction

For new residential (single/semi/townhouses) erects, inspectors will call the site contact number to indicate an approximate time of arrival.    The site contact will be advised to ensure that ALL persons in the building (including attached garages) are to vacate.  Upon arrival at the site, prior to entering the building, the inspector will be expecting to find the building completely vacant.     Three phone call attempts will be made within a 15 minute timeframe.   Failure to make contact will result in the inspector attending and advising that the building be vacated.   The site contact will be advised by the inspector that for subsequent inspections, it is expected that they monitor their phone and answer the inspector’s incoming call to ensure the building is vacated prior to the inspection.  

For inspections where no site contact is available:  

For new residential (single/semi/townhouses) erects,  the inspector will arrive and announce their arrival so that the building can be vacated. The inspector will return to his/her vehicle and allow 10 minutes for the building to be vacated.   If, after 10 minutes, there is evidence that the building has not been vacated, the inspector will leave without conducting the inspection and enter a ‘Not Ready-Fee’ attempt result.


All Not Ready Fees referred to above will be implemented on inspections conducted after January 31, 2021.


Please note that any talkback or complaints to the inspector about the inspection protocols in place, would qualify as ‘interfering with the work of an inspector’ and will be deemed as a reason for the inspector to leave the site and have the inspection attempt result listed as ‘Not Ready-Fee’.      

Anyone that may want to speak to the inspectors on site is requested to adhere to a 2-metre safe distance limit. Should the inspectors determine that this is not followed, on a discretionary basis, they will leave the premises.

Inspections for residential additions, single detached dwelling/row townhouse alterations 

Inspections are conducted for small residential buildings under renovation with a permit issued for alterations.

If you have requested an inspection under a building permit for alteration work and have not provided us with a site contact phone number, please reply to and provide it so your inspection date is not compromised. This allows the inspector to be able to call on the date of the inspection.

Please note: 

  • It is your responsibility to ensure the inspector is able to successfully connect with the person assigned this number in order that the inspection be carried out.
  • If the inspector calls, and there is no answer, he/she will attempt to knock on the front door.   If no one answers, the inspector will leave and record the inspection(s) as ‘“Inspection cancelled by City”. You will then be required to rebook the inspection(s).
  • As a result of the above, when the inspector attends for the second time, he/she will attempt contact by phone only.
  • If upon inspection, the inspector finds that the work is not ready or previously identified deficiencies have not been rectified, the inspection will be deemed as “Not ready” and you will need to remit the associated fee. Currently, that amount is $178.68 and indexed annually March 1.

The following site restrictions must be adhered to:

  1. At all times during the on-site physical inspection, and after the inspector has confirmed arrival, all other tradespersons are to vacate the area under renovation.  Only upon confirmation of this, will the inspector enter.
  2. Anyone wishing to speak to the inspector must do so at a minimum distance of 2 metres.
  3. The area under renovation must be separated from the remaining dwelling by use of a full-height temporary partition or a curtain consisting of fabric or vapour barrier material.
  4. When the inspector arrives, he/she will call the number given previously and confirm that, if for any reason, occupants (not tradespersons) must remain in the dwelling, the permit holder/homeowner shall provide confirmation via text message (must include the address) to the inspector, prior to the inspection, that all occupants have answered ‘No’ to all of the following questions:
Do you have any of the following symptoms (new or worsening) that are not related to seasonal allergies or pre-existing health conditions?
  • Fever (37.80 C or greater)
  • Chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
  • Sore throat
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Runny, stuffy or congested nose
  • Unexplainable fatigue
  • Unexplainable muscle aches
  • Unusual or long lasting headache
  • Digestive issues like nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain
  • Loss of smell or taste
  • Pink eye

In the past 14 days have you ...

  • been in close physical contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19
  • travelled outside Canada
  • been in close physical contact with someone who either is sick with symptoms listed above OR returned from outside of Canada in the last 2 weeks with symptoms listed above


Inspections for accessory residential structures

Inspections are available for unoccupied accessory structures (sheds, carports, pool cabanas, both attached and detached garages, decks, etc.).

For select inspection types, platforms such as FaceTime and WhatsApp are available. Please contact your inspector for more information.

Inspections for partial occupancy permits

Inspections are conducted for partial occupancy permits.

The following protocol must be adhered to for partial occupancy inspections:

  1. Contact will need to be made by the site supervisor (site super) to the inspector prior to attendance.
  2. A mutually agreed-upon location on site is to be arranged for the inspector and the site super to meet,  if there is no job site trailer available.
  3. The site super is to ensure the path of travel to the inspection area will be such that the 2 metre physical distance requirement from the inspector, is adhered to at all times.
  4. The site super is to ensure that any elevator usage is restricted to the inspector and the site super only.
  5. If stairs are used to enter the floor area(s) to be inspected, the site super shall ensure the stairs are mark for one way travel only (For example: west stairs ascending only and the east stairs descending only).
  6. For the floor/area being inspected, the site super is to ensure that there are no tradespersons present.  If this is not possible, all tradespersons are to maintain the physical distance requirement from the inspector at all times while he/she is there.
  7. At the end of the inspection(s), the site super must accompany the inspector off the site while maintaining the physical distance requirements.

The inspector may not commence or terminate the inspection at any time, if the above protocol has not been complied with.  The permit holder will receive a “Inspection Cancelled by City” notice via email and will need to re-book the partial occupancy inspection.

Building inspections associated with business licence applications

Due to COVID-19, new business licence applications for are being accepted digitally by emailing Applications will be reviewed for zoning compliance, however, only locations that are deemed essential by the province will have inspections conducted. New applications for food premises will have their application fee deferred three months from the date of the issuance of the licence.

Building permit fees

Building permit fees depend on the floor area, scope of work and the type of building being constructed or altered. When using the online portal permit fees will be calculated. The Building by-law B-7 provides information about the types of building construction, alteration and demolition permits issued and services provided. The current fees for these permits and services appear in Appendix A of the by-law.

Fees effective March 1, 2020 until Feb 28, 2021

Minimum permit fee

Minimum fee, unless otherwise indicated, shall be charged for any work in buildings classified under the Building Code as a Part 9 building. $178.68
For Part 3 buildings, minimum fee, unless otherwise indicated herein or listed as a flat fee $382.88


Building classification (per Building Code)

Group A - Assembly occupancies

Service Index (SI) $/m2, unless otherwise indicated
All recreation facilities, schools, libraries, places of worship, theatres, arenas, gymnasiums, indoor pools, restaurants (Finished) $19.14
Restaurants (Shell) $14.50
Outdoor public swimming pools or public spas $10.21
All other Group A buildings $21.44

Building classification (per Building Code)

Group B

Service Index (SI) $/m2, unless otherwise indicated
Institutional, hospitals, nursing homes, and other group B buildings $24.81

Building classification (per Building Code)

Group C - Residential occupancies

Service Index (SI) $/m2, unless otherwise indicated

Single detached dwellings, semis, duplexes

  • with private septic system (additional fee)
  • with geothermal system (additional fee)


flat fee $918.90

flat fee $428.82

Live/work units, previously approved (single detached, semis, townhouses)

  • with private septic system (additional fee)
  • with geothermal system (additional fee)


flat fee $918.90

flat fee $428.82

Apartment buildings

  • with geothermal system (additional fee)


flat fee $551.34

Motels (greater than 2 stories) and hotels

All other residential occupancies $14.29

Building classification (per Building Code)

Group D - Business and personal service occupancies

Service Index (SI) $/m2, unless otherwise indicated
Buildings (Shell) $14.29
Buildings (Finished) $17.36

Building classification (per Building Code)

Group E - Mercantile occupancies

Service Index (SI) $/m2, unless otherwise indicated
Mercantile occupancies (Shell) $8.98
Mercantile Occupancies (Finished) $12.25

Building classification (per Building Code)

Group F - Industrial occupancies

Service Index (SI) $/m2, unless otherwise indicated
Industrial buildings, warehouses(Shell) $7.15
Industrial buildings, warehouses(Finished) $8.68
Gas stations, car washes $8.78
Parking garages (underground, open air) $4.70
All other group F buildings including self storage buildings $9.29

Alterations, renovations and repairs

Group C - Dwelling units $3.06
Group A and B occupancies $5.87
All other occupancies $5.11
Balcony repairs or guard replacement (per $1,000 construction value) $17.36
Parking garage repairs (per $1,000 construction value) $17.36
Fire alarms flat fee $382.88
Fire alarm annunciator panel replacement (stand alone) flat fee $306.30
Electromagnetic locks

each $35.74

maximum  fee $428.82

Sprinklers (based on sprinkler coverage area) $0.51


Single detached dwellings, semis, duplexes flat fee $357.35

All other buildings:

  • with gross floor area equal to or less than 600 m2
  • with gross floor area greater than 600 m2




Designated structures (OBC Div. A-

Communication tower supported by a building per tower $387.98  
Crane runway flat fee $387.98
Exterior tank and support (not on slab on grade) per tank $387.98
Pedestrian bridge (when applied as a separate permit) per structure $387.98
Retaining wall  per linear m. $11.44
Stand alone structure supporting a wind turbine generator having a rated output of more than 3kW flat fee $387.98

Stand alone and miscellaneous work

Air supported structures $4.85
Canopy (with no signage/lettering) per canopy $178.68
Farm buildings, agricultural greenhouses $3.57
Manure storage facility flat fee $459.45
Portable classrooms each $204.20

Residential decks, porches

  • uncovered
  • covered (supporting roof loads)


each $178.68

each $306.30

Shoring of excavations (stand alone permit application) per lineal m. $11.23

Single detached dwelling garages, carports, accessory structures:

  • equal to or less than 55 sq.m.
  • over 55 sq.m.
  • additional fee if plumbing is involved


each $178.68

each $280.78


Temporary structures

Tents (individual or each group)

  • from 60 sq.m to 225 sq.m.
  • exceeding 225 sq.m.



each $178.68

each $255.25

Temporary buildings each $178.68
Underpinning (stand alone permit) per lineal m. $15.32

Solar panels installed on:

  • Single detached/semi-detached buildings
  • All other buildings (per $1,000 construction value of works excluding solar panel costs)per building





Underground structures (excluding fuel tanks) per structure $408.40
Rack storage systems $2.55 Min. fee $510.50

Stand alone mechanical work (HVAC & Plumbing)

More than one fee category may apply per building/work proposed.

Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

Group A, B, D, E, F $2.04

Group C – single/detached/semi-detached dwelling units

Other Group C Buildings

Additional fee if work proposed includes make-up air units, or rooftop units 

flat fee  $178.68


flat fee $178.68

Commercial kitchen exhausts, spray booths, dust collectors, etc. (applies to installations on existing buildings when no other mechanical/plumbing work is proposed) $357.35

Plumbing and drainage systems-Fixtures-Equipment-Systems

Piping single detached or semi detached dwellings:

  • Water services, sanitary and storm buried piping, repairs, replacements and additions of buried plumbing and drainage piping, pool drains
flat fee $178.68

Piping (All other buildings)

  • Inside sanitary and storm piping, outside water services, sanitary and storm piping
per lineal m. $3.06
Manholes, catchbasins, interceptors, and sumps, complete with pumps, roof drains each $12.35
Backflow prevention devices (requiring testing) each $178.68
Backwater valves (sanitary) each $178.68

Private Sewage system (new or replace):

  • Holding tank
  • Septic system (complete)
  • Septic bed
  • Septic system tank only


flat fee $633.02

flat fee $867.85

flat fee $633.02

flat fee $367.56

Geothermal system for single/semi-detached/duplex flat fee $428.82
Geothermal system for all other buildings flat fee $633.02

Administrative fees 

Additional plan review fees (in addition to permit fees charged due to any increase in floor area) as a result of changes made to the original permit application submission.

  1. After all reviews have been completed prior to permit issuance or after the permit has been issued (excludes new model submission for single detached dwellings, duplexes, semi-detached dwellings, or row townhouses)
  2. New model submission (single detached dwellings, semi-detached dwellings, duplexes, or row townhouses) made more than five business days after original permit application was submitted or post permit issuance.




per hour $132.73

min. fee $178.68


50% of original permit fee

Partial occupancy permit flat fee $571.76

Conditional permit (as per Section 8.(3) of Building Code Act) in addition to fee in section 3 above.

  • Single detached dwellings, duplexes, semi-detached dwellings or row townhouses
  • all other uses



per permit $280.78

per permit $612.60

Inspection to clear deficient permit flat fee $510.50
Inspection conducted after order issued under the Building Code Act where order has not been complied with per visit $178.68
Permission to defer permit revocation per permit $306.30
Permit for Change of Use (no construction) flat fee $178.68
Special inspection, excluding fire protection inspection flat fee $408.40 (outside office hours-max 3 hours-upon request-based on staff availability)
Special inspection for fire protection items flat fee $510.50 (outside office hours-max 3 hours-upon request-based on staff availability)
Special inspection on holidays Special inspection fee plus 50% of the special inspection fee
Transfer of Permit (Ownership) flat fee $178.68
Special research requests  per hour or part thereof $178.68
Certification of an additional set of drawings on the basis of which a permit was issued by the Chief Building Official per set $178.68
Spatial separation (Limiting distance) agreements per agreement $408.40
Alternative solutions review Per alternative form submission $408.40

Three day permit

  • Residential use (excluding apartment buildings)
  • All other uses

Additional fee equal to 50% of the original permit fee. Min. fee $280.78

Additional fee equal to 50% of the original permit fee. Min. fee $561.55

Occupancy permit (in accordance with the Ontario Building Code Div. C- &

  • Additional copy of occupancy permit

no fee


flat fee $153.15

Liquor licence clearance letter

  • Not associated with a building permit or business license
  • Associated with a building permit or business license


flat fee $490.08

flat fee $280.78

Review of proprietary systems/equipment/components for Ontario Building Code conformance (including Compliance letter issuance) per item reviewed $306.30 
Review of proprietary systems/equipment/components for Ontario Building Code conformance associated with permit or application per item reviewed $204.20
‘Not Ready’ re-inspection flat fee $178.68
Construction fence inspection flat fee per inspection $178.68

Order issued pursuant to the Act, except for Stop Work Order (Payment of these fees does not relieve any person or corporation from complying with the Act, the Building Code or any applicable law.)

flat fee $204.20
Stop Work Order issued pursuant to section 14 of the Act (Payment of these fees does not relieve any person or corporation from complying with the Act, the Building Code or any applicable law.) flat fee $280.78
Work without permit 100% of the original permit fee max.$7,657.50

Miscellaneous - Charges

For classes of permits not described or included in this schedule, a reasonable permit fee shall be determined by the Chief Building Official.

Two payment options

1.    Online banking

  • Applicant must register on the online portal 
  • Applicant will receive the form “Request to Submit Payment Through Online Banking” and upon completion, email it to
  • Applicant will then receive instructions on how to proceed with online payment  

2.    A cheque made payable to City of London, mailed to Building Services, PO Box 5035, 7th floor, London ON  N6A 4L9. 


Last modified:Friday, January 22, 2021