This project is also known as the Transportation Intelligent Mobility Management System (TIMMS). The goals of this project are to reduce intersection delays, manage incidents, ensure shorter travel times for transit users and drivers, and prepare London’s transportation network for the future by installing transit signal priority and other traffic signal improvements – such as sensors and video cameras – along major corridors.
Upgrades to existing technology includes enable video streaming and enhanced sensors from intersections and will build capacity for future systems (for example, connected and automated vehicles). The project includes an upcoming Transportation Management Centre (TMC) where staff can adjust signal timings to improve traffic flow, and when needed, co-ordinate with emergency operations, in real time. The TMC will share data with the transit management centre and other emergency services.
This project will affect all major corridors in the City.
For more information, please contact the traffic management centre by emailing TMC@london.ca.
- upgrade to a high-bandwidth intersection communication network
- purchase all necessary equipment
- upgrade traffic signal management system for improved transit signal priority
- implement GPS-based transit signal priority to improve transit reliability
- install video camera along key corridors
- measure travel time along key corridors
- build the Transportation Management Centre
- improved transit capacity
- improved transit safety and quality
- improved traffic flow
- reduce intersection delays
- build infrastructure for autonomous vehicles
The project is scheduled to run from 2019 to 2027