In November of 2019, the City of London (like many other municipalities in the province) changed the way by-law disputes are heard from proceedings in a provincial courtroom to using municipal screening and hearing officers. These screening officers are able to modify, cancel, or affirm penalties. This approach has helped in reducing congestion in courtrooms as well as providing a more local and accessible dispute resolution system.
What are Administrative Monetary Penalties (A.M.P.s)?
Minor by-law infractions including, but not limited to, those related to parking, business licensing, animal welfare and forestry.
What is a Penalty Notice?
A Penalty Notice is the same as a "ticket" except that it requires payment of a penalty instead of a fine. The Penalty Notice is issued by a Municipal By-Law Enforcement Officer to an individual or corporation when they have committed a by-law infraction.
How are Penalty Notices issued?
City of London Municipal By-Law Enforcement Officers can issue a Penalty Notice through the following methods:
- In person
- Through regular mail to the individual's last known address
- By facsimile (fax) to the individual's last known facsimile transmission number
- By email to the individual's last known email address
- On vehicle
Note: Parking-related Penalty Notices are generally issued by attaching the notice to the vehicle or by serving the notice directly to the operator; however, they may also be issued through any of the methods noted above.
What are my options when a Penalty Notice is issued?
Pay your parking-related Penalty Notice
If your Penalty Notice is parking related, you have three options to pay:
- Pay online
- Pay by Mail - mail a cheque or money order to: The Corporation of the City of London, Parking Services, PO Box 5400, London, ON, N6A 4L6. Please ensure you mail your payment with sufficient time for it to reach the office by the 15-day deadline.
** do not send cash in the mail
- Pay in Person - Pay in person at the Parking Services Office, 824 Dundas Street . Payment can also be placed in the drop box located at the east side of the front main entrance
Pay all other Penalty Notices
- Pay by Mail - mail a cheque or money order to: The Corporation of the City of London, Compliance and Parking Services, PO Box 5400, London, ON, N6A 4L6. Please ensure you mail your payment with sufficient time for it to reach the office by the 15-day deadline.
** do not send cash in the mail
- Pay in Person - Pay in person at the Compliance and Parking Services Office (even if not a parking-related Penalty Notice) located at 824 Dundas Street . Payment can also be placed in the drop box located at the east side of the front main entrance.
Dispute your Penalty Notice
Complete the form:
A request for review or a Written Screening submission must be submitted no later than the 15th day after the Penalty Notice date. Once the form has been completed and received, the individual will be notified of their scheduled date and time.
Screenings will be completed as soon as possible. You will be contacted by phone or e-mail to discuss the results. For written screening submissions, a screening decision will be sent to you.
What if I am not satisfied with the result of a Screening?
If the matter is still in dispute following the review by the Screening Officer, you may request a further review by a Hearings Officer. A Request for Hearing must be made within thirty (30) days following the receipt of the Screening Officer's decision. If no action is taken, additional fees will be added. Please follow up with your Screening Officer to obtain a Hearing Request Form.
Does it cost anything to request a Screening or Hearing?
No. A fee is not charged for a review of a Penalty Notice. However, if you fail to attend a scheduled Screening or Hearing, administrative fees are applicable.
When and where are In-Person Screenings and Hearings held?
Currently, in-person screenings and hearing are not taking place due to COVID-19 policies.
Screenings and hearings are taking place by phone, online by Zoom, or by correspondence sent by email.
While every attempt will be made to accommodate your preferred appointment time period, you should be aware that specific requests can not always be guaranteed. Once scheduled, appointments can not be rescheduled.