Accessing Medical Services in London and Middlesex

Canada has a publicly funded health care system that provides high quality care. In Ontario, residents are covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP) which pays for many of the medical services that you may need. These services include: 

  • appointments with your family doctor
  • visits to walk-in clinics and some other health care providers
  • visits to an emergency room
  • medical tests and surgeries

Below, you will find a list of hospitals and medical services in London, and information about how to apply for your own Ontario Health Card. 

Calling 9-1-1 in an emergency

In a police, fire or medical emergency, call 9-1-1. This call is free from any phone. Emergency services will provide you with the information and assistance needed.

When calling 9-1-1, you should:  

  • Stay calm and speak clearly
  • State which service you need (police, fire or ambulance) 
  • Describe the situation
  • Give your name, phone number and exact location
  • Do not hang up until the call taker tells you to do so

For non-emergency issues, you can: 

Getting an Ontario Health Card (OHIP)

Your Ontario Health Card is your proof that you are covered by OHIP and should be brought with you every time you visit a medical facility.

To be eligible for OHIP, you must be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period and make Ontario your primary home. Eligibility is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents (landed immigrants), those who have applied for permanent residence (who have met the eligibility requirements and have not yet been denied) or who have a valid work permit. There are other eligibility options as well.

To learn more about applying for OHIP and obtaining a Health Card, please visit the OHIP page on the Government of Ontario website.

Hospitals in London & Middlesex

London has three hospitals including the Children's Hospital which serves all of Southwestern Ontario, and parts of Northern Ontario.  


There is also the Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital, which serves Middlesex County. 
London is also home to Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry of Western University and medical research centres which provides world-class care to our residents. 

Other medical services

There are a variety of medical services available to Londoners. You can work with your Settlement organization to learn more about what’s in your neighbourhood, or review the services that are available at the links below. 

Last modified:Tuesday, July 04, 2023