Marriage and oaths

Marriage licences are available on a ‘drop in’ basis during our regular business hours (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.). We ask that you please fill out an online application prior to your visit.

Marriage licence

We issue licences for people getting married in Ontario. A licence is valid anywhere in the province for 90 days. There is no waiting period between getting a licence and your date of marriage.

Step 1: Apply for a marriage licence

A Marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario and may be obtained in person from City Hall. For faster service, it is highly recommended you complete the online application prior to your visit to City Hall. This will ensure all documents are in order and there is enough time to obtain a valid licence prior to your scheduled ceremony.

Please have your online application and all documents completed ahead of time and read the information below prior to submitting your application.

Frequently asked questions 

Q: What do I need to know before I apply?
  • A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church).
  • If you have the required identification and applicable documents it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence.
  • The licence can be used anywhere in the province of Ontario.
  • Once issued a marriage licence is valid for 90 days.
  • The licence is valid for use in Ontario only.
Q: Who can get married in Ontario?

Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardians. A parental consent form must be completed. Forms are available in the City Clerk’s Office. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.

Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.

Q: How to apply for a marriage licence

The City of London issues marriage licences while you wait in the lobby of City Hall or at the City Clerk's Office on the 3rd floor of City Hall. Marriage licences are issued Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

  1. Review the identification requirements
  2. Review guidelines on re-marrying after a divorce, if applicable
  3. Complete a marriage licence application.
    • You may either apply online, or
    • You can print and complete an application by hand. Paper applications are also available in the City Clerk’s Office.
  4. Visit the City Clerk’s Office with the following:
    • Completed application with original signatures (no photocopies or scans).
    • For both applicants, two pieces of valid government issued identification that shows the legal spelling of name and date of birth (see acceptable identification for more information).
    • The licence fee is $140.00. HST does not apply. Pay by cash, debit, Visa or MasterCard.
  5. If necessary, the original court certified copy of your Canadian divorce certificate or Foreign Divorce Authorization.
Q: Can I apply in person without my partner present?

Yes, you can apply without your partner, if:

  • both of you have signed and dated the completed application
  • you bring the required identification for each person on the application
  • you bring original divorce documentation, if applicable
Q: What is acceptable identification?

Each person applying for the marriage licence must bring 2 pieces of acceptable government-issued identification (ID) from the list below.

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies or scanned images/documents)
  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth
  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence, it must also appear on both pieces of ID
  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued

The following government-issued ID is accepted:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)
Q: What about divorce applicants?

Within Canada: Applicants divorced within Canada must produce the original or court certified copy of a:

  • Certificate of Divorce, or
  • Final Decree

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement is not acceptable. All documents will be returned.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings or 1-613-957-4519.

Outside Canada (Foreign Divorce): If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the Province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage licence.

For more information, contact the City Clerk’s Office at 519 661-4530 or visit Service Ontario. Foreign divorce packages can also be picked up at City Hall.

Questions regarding the authorization process should be directed to the Office of the Registrar General at: 1-800-268-7095 (Toll Free within Ontario) or 416-326-1234.

Q: What if I need an interpreter?

If you cannot read or understand English, you must bring your own interpreter.  The interpreter must present their own identification.



Step 2: Marriage ceremony

There are two types of marriage ceremonies performed in Ontario:

1.) Religious ceremonies

A religious marriage is performed by a religious official of a recognized religious body who has received authorization from the Office of the Registrar General to perform marriages in Ontario.

Check the online list of authorized religious marriage officiants to ensure that your religious officiant is authorized to perform marriages in Ontario.

2.) Civil ceremonies

A civil marriage may be performed by an Ontario judge, justice of the peace or a municipal clerk or designate under the authority of a marriage licence.

The City of London offers civil marriage ceremonies at City Hall. You can use the button below to book your civil marriage ceremony however we highly recommend you review all of the below content prior to proceeding.

Book a civil marriage ceremony

Civil marriage ceremonies at City Hall

You can exchange your wedding vows by appointment at City Hall Monday through Friday, except statutory holidays. Our non-denominational marriage ceremonies are conducted by the City Clerk or designate. We have two options to choose from:

  1. Ceremony Only Option – takes place in our private ceremony space on the 2ND floor of City Hall. The ceremony lasts approximately 15 minutes. Maximum of 10 guests (including your two witnesses). Available Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  2. Ceremony & Reception Option – takes place on the 12th floor of City Hall in our Top of the Hall Café reception space. The ceremony lasts approximately 15 minutes, followed by a 60-minute reception with a customized menu which can include hors d'oeuvres and drinks (beer and wine). Minimum 10 guests to a maximum of 50 guests (including your two witnesses). Available Monday through Friday 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please note that there are additional fees when choosing this option above our standard wedding ceremony fee (ie. liability insurance coverage, per person catering fees depending on your menu choices, etc).

Civil Ceremony with Reception FAQ

Review Reception Menu Options

Booking your civil ceremony 

Couples wishing to book a special date and time for a civil ceremony at City Hall can do so by speaking with a customer service representative at 519-661-4530 during our regular business hours or through our online portal.

Book a civil marriage ceremony

  • Please note payment is due at the time of booking and is required to hold your spot. Fees will vary depending on what marriage ceremony option you choose from.
  • A valid Province of Ontario marriage licence will be required before the date of the ceremony. If you require a marriage licence as well, please submit a marriage licence application online first.

For questions related to civil ceremonies, please call us during regular business hours at 519-661-4530 or email us at

To have a civil ceremony completed at City Hall you must provide:

  • Valid Province of Ontario marriage licence - Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence. Marriage licences are available from most local municipalities in Ontario.
  • Two witnesses - Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as specified in the Marriage Act.
  • Photo ID - Couples must arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled ceremony with one piece of valid photo ID for each partner.
  • Language interpreter - Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if needed, for languages other than English.  Couples who require a sign-language interpreter for the wedding consultation and/or for the wedding ceremony may make their own arrangements or may ask the Clerk’s Office to make the necessary arrangements.  The cost for a sign-language interpreter will be borne by the City as required by the City of London’s Accessibility Standards for customer service.
Marriage Ineligibility

City Clerk staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who they know - or has reasonable grounds to believe - lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances which make a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental duress.
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have the consent in writing of both parents).
  • The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.
  • One of both parties are currently married.
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage.
  • Marriage licence: $140, taxes included (cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard or AMEX)
  • Civil marriage ceremony: $275 plus HST
  • Witness fee: $25 per witness should staff be required to act as witness.  

Note: a $113 ($100 + $13 HST) administration fee shall be retained by the City should the scheduled ceremony be cancelled after the booking. No refund shall be issued if you do not show up or cancel on the date of your scheduled ceremony.

Step 3: Obtain a marriage certificate

Marriage certificates are issued by the Office of the Registrar General for the province of Ontario. You can order a marriage certificate through Service Ontario approximately 8 to 12 weeks from the date your marriage ceremony took place.

Order a marriage certificate​​​​​​

  • The easiest and fastest way to order a marriage certificate is online through Service Ontario. 

To order a marriage certificate by mail simply complete the form that was included with your marriage licence or download the form.

Request for Marriage Certificate 

  • For questions regarding marriage certificates please contact Service Ontario at 416-326-1234 or 1-800-268-7095.

Marriage and change of name

After the marriage ceremony, there are three options either spouse may consider in regard to retaining, assuming, or legally changing their last name.

Option 1: Continue to use their last name

Under this course of action, the spouse who wishes to keep their current last name needs to take no action.

Ontario law does not require a spouse to change their last name upon marriage.

Option 2: “Assume” the use of the spouse’s last name

An assumed name is a name which a person uses or adopts.

Upon marriage, a person may choose to “assume” the last name of their spouse and use it.

To have your identification revised most government organizations, credit card firms, etc. will accept a copy of the marriage certificate issued by the Office of the Registrar General as proof of the marriage.

Option 3: Legally change their last name

A legal name is the name by which the person is entitled to be recognized for the purposes of Ontario law.

In this instance, a person will elect the option under the Change of Name Act, complete the appropriate forms and submit them to the Office of the Registrar General

Service Ontario information

Getting married

How to get a copy of an Ontario marriage certificate online

Change your last name

Last modified:Thursday, April 04, 2024