Municipal Compliance

Municipal Law Enforcement Officers (MLEOs) enforce the majority of City of London by-laws.  By-laws are local regulations passed by Council under provincial legislation such as the Municipal Act, Building Code Act and Planning Act.

Typically, phone calls and emails from residents inform us of concerns or nuisances, which we assess to determine if they may constitute by-law violations.  However, by-laws may also be enforced proactively in specific areas or neighbourhoods on occasions which require a more targeted focus.

In most cases, MLEOs take an ‘education first’ approach to compliance, seeking voluntarily conformity before potentially escalating matters.  MLEOs can have a variety of tools at their disposal to penalize, ticket, fine and “order” compliance with a by-law, but education and communication are how we begin.

Frequently asked questions

How do I make a complaint?

A number of issues can be reported online using our Service London Portal.

If you don’t see your concern on the portal, general complaints can be made to Municipal Compliance via phone or email:

Please provide as much information as possible including your name, address, unit number, phone number, location of the issue, description of the concern, etc..  Photographs are encouraged when reporting by email. 

What can I expect after making a complaint?

You can expect:

  • That your concern will be handled professionally and confidentially.
  • That an MLEO will investigate your concern as it relates to a by-law non-compliance matter.
  • To be informed via email - if requested - when the complaint has been ‘closed’.  If you request confirmation, that notice of closure means that the violation has been remedied, or that it was not considered a violation.

Note: MLEOs will contact a complainant if more information is required for investigative or enforcement purposes.  For purposes of privacy and independent investigation, MLEOs do not provide updates as to how an investigation is proceeding.

What won't the City investigate or respond to?

Staff will not take complaints nor respond to calls regarding:

  • Property line locations or disputes
  • Land ownership disputes
  • Snow removal or snow storage on private property
  • Changes to grading or drainage issues on private property
  • Basement or yard flooding (unless you are a tenant)
  • Animal feces in yards
  • Security cameras on private property

You don't need to be an expert in all municipal by-laws.  When you call or email, Staff will inform you if your concern(s) supports a by-law complaint or investigation.

Can Municipal Law Enforcement Officers refuse to investigate my complaint?

The Chief Municipal Law Enforcement Officer (CMLEO) or their designate(s) have the right to refuse any complaint that is made anonymously, trivially, frivolously, and/or vexatiously. 

I’ve been told my concern is a “civil matter”.  What does that mean?

A civil matter is when two parties - meaning people, groups of people, businesses or other organizations - find themselves in a disagreement over an issue where no City by-laws or criminal laws are being broken. The easiest way to deal with a civil matter is for the parties to come to a private agreement/resolution.  When this is not possible, a civil lawsuit can be filed with Ontario's Superior Court of Justice. The City of London does not investigate or take complaints regarding potential civil matters/cases. 

Civil cases can deal with:

  • disputes between neighbours
  • disagreements about a contract
  • claims for personal injuries
  • claims for damage to your property
  • claims for damage to your reputation
What are the most common by-laws that people call the City about?


Last modified:Tuesday, March 19, 2024