Social Housing

Social housing

Social housing is a government-assisted housing that provided rent-geared-to-income and affordable rental units to households with low-to-moderate incomes.  Social housing can include: public housing, not-for-profit and co-operative housing.  Learn more about qualifying and applying for the City of London social housing.


To qualify for social housing in the City of London and the County of Middlesex, applicants must:

  • Be 16 years of age of older and be able to live independently.
  • Each member must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or refugee claimant.
  • No members of the household has a deportation order, departure or exclusion order under the Immigration Act.
  • No member of the household owes arrears for either rent or damage to any social housing unit.
Applying for social housing

To apply for social housing rent geared-to-income housing, you must complete the following steps:

Step One - Complete the application package

The application package consists of three categories  - Adults, Family and Senior. Download and print the application form and building selection form that best describes your situation.

The Building Selection Forms

If you are a household with no dependents (adults/singles and childless couples from age 16+) looking to live in designated adult social housing, please download and print the Adult Building Selection Form. Please note that some buildings will accept adults only from age 50+, seniors 6-+ or 65+ and small families.  

If you are a household with dependents (one or more dependents) looking to live in a designated family social housing, please download and print the Family Building Selection Form. Please note that some buildings will accept households without dependents such as adults/singles/couples and seniors 60+ and 65+.

If you are a senior from ages 60+ or 65+ and looking to live in designated senior social housing, please download and print the Senior Building Selection Form.  Please note that this is only for seniors age 60+ and 65+.

Providers who have social housing

There are many providers who have social housing units. Below is a brief description of each:

  • Private Non-Profit Housing (PNP): Private Non-Profit Housing are owned by sponsor organizations such as service clubs, church organizations and ethnic groups and are either self-managed or managed through a property management company.

  • Federal Non-Profit Housing (FNP): Federal Non-Profit Housing are owned by sponsor organizations such as churches and service clubs, and are either self-managed or managed through a property management company.

  • Provincial Co-operative Housing (PCO): Provincial Co-operative Housing are managed by their occupant members. Each resident becomes a member and has a voice in how the co-operative is operated and is expected to help in the day-to-day operations. A Board of Directors is established from the co-operative members.

    You can find more information on Provincial Co-Operative Housing by accessing this poster.

  • Public Housing (PH): City-owned public housing units are 100 per cent rent-geared-to-income and are governed and managed by London & Middlesex Community Housing.

  • Rent Supplement Program (RS): The City of London, Housing Division administers and manages rent-geared-to-income units in various privately owned buildings through agreements with landlords under the Rent Supplement Program.  Tenants are required to pay their RGI portion of rent to the private landlord and the City of London provides the rent supplement portion to cover the different between the RGI payable and the market rent directly to the landlord.  These agreements may change over time.

Please Note:   As a result of changes to the Housing Services Act, 2011 O. Reg 367/11 under Section 32.2 and 38, effective January 1, 2021, applicants will only receive one offer of RGI housing. If you do not accept this offer, you will be removed from the centralized social housing waitlist. This rule applies to all applicants on the centralized social housing waitlist.  It is critical that you keep your contact information and Building Selection form updated.  Please review your options carefully and select only buildings and communities that you wish to live in. You may update your building selections at any time.

Please note that these forms are Adobe PDF. To download and print, you must have the latest in Adobe's PDF on your computer. Click on the Adobe link for a free download.

Step Two - Qualifying for social housing

As you determine if you qualify for social housing, you may find you qualify for Special Priority Status or Urgent Status. If the following circumstances apply to you, complete the form and submit it with your basic application.

Priority Forms

Priority Forms are used if you may be experiencing trafficking, or domestic abuse and violence by living together with an abusive person and need to find housing right away.

Request for Special Priority Package

​​​​Request for Special Priority Human Trafficking

Urgent Application Forms

Urgent application forms are used if you are experiencing homelessness, have a medical urgency need or a social urgency need to live in social housing.

Please download and print the form that best reflects your situation.

Request for Urgent Homeless Status Form

Request for Urgent Medical Status Form

Request for Urgent Social Status Form

Additional HAC Application Forms

Additional application forms may be requested by the HAC team

Independent Living Assessment Form - Required by HAC concerning independent living.

Divestment of Residential Property - Required when owning a property/

Request for Internal Review - Required to appeal any decision made by the HAC or your social housing providers/landlord.

Request for Final Review - Required if you are not satisfied with a decision made by the HAC or your housing provider/landlord thru the request for internal review.


Step Three - Submit your application

Submit your forms and documents to the Housing Access Centre: Citi Plaza, 355 Wellington Street Suite 248, 2nd Floor London, ON  N6A 3N7 Telephone: 519- 661-0861 Regular business hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Tuesday 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Please note: Applications will not be accepted by fax. Applications can be scanned and email to


Documents required

The following is a list of all the required documents that must be provided with your application for everyone listed on the application form.

Some items may not apply to some individuals.

  • Copies of Canadian birth certificates, Canadian passport, landed immigrant, permanent resident card or refugee claimant documents for ALL members of the household.
  • Custody documentation or agreement (i.e. Court/lawyer/CAS, ex-partner, etc.) verify at least 50% custody.
  • A copy of a repayment schedule for anyone in your household who owes money to an Ontario social housing.
  • Copies of ALL household monthly income of you and all persons who will be living with you.
  • Self-employed - Please provide proof of income such as your latest income tax, investment Interest income, pay stubs, etc.
  • Copies of owned assets of all household.
  • If pregnant, provide proof of pregnancy i.e. doctors note or ultra sound picture.
  • If you are claiming homelessness, abuse, a serious medical condition, a dangerous or life threatening situation, etc., proof is required from someone in a professional position (court/lawyer/doctor/police/worker).
Guide to social housing directory

The guides below are intended as an aid for anyone who is looking for rental housing in the City of London and County of Middlesex. The non-profit housing providers listed in the guide offer subsidized housing and low-end market rent (not subsidized) for people with low income and is designated for Seniors, Adults, and Families. The housing resources listed in this directory may, from time to time, have waiting lists.

A Guide to Family Housing

A Guide to Adult Housing

A Guide to Senior Housing

Frequently Asked Questions - social housing

What is rent-geared-to-income housing?

Rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing is subsidized housing.  The rent is based on the tenant's income - usually 30 percent of the gross monthly household income.   RGI units are available in publicly-owned social housing (London Middlesex Community Housing) and in certain Co-operative Housing, Non-profit Housing and some private market buildings.

How do I apply for rent-geared-to-income housing?

To apply for RGI housing, an application package is required along with income verification and proof of Canadian Citizenship for all household members.  Applications are available for pick up at the Housing Access Centre located at Citi Plaza or by calling 519-661-0861 to have an application mailed out to you.  

What documents are required with a RGI housing application?

The following are required when submitting an RGI application: 

  • Copies of Canadian birth certificates, valid Canadian passport, landed immigrant, permanent resident card or refugee claimant documents for all member of the household
  • Copies of all household gross monthly income for all members of the household

Additional Documents required, if applicable

  • If you have 50% shared custody of your children, custody agreement, or court order is required
  • If you have outstanding social housing arrears in the province of Ontario, a copy of a repayment agreement is required
  • If you are self-employed, verification of income such as income records, business account statement and/or most recent Notice of Assessment is required
  • If you are pregnant, proof of pregnancy is required such as Doctor’s note or ultrasound picture is required.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for RGI housing, applicants must be:

  • 16 years of age or older and be able to live independently.
  • Each member must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, or Refugee Claimant.
  • No member of the household has a deportation order, departure or exclusion order under immigration Act.
  • No member of household owes arrears, for either rent or damage to any Ontario social housing unit.

How long is the waitlist?

The Housing Access Centre is unable to predict how long the wait is for social housing.  It depends on many different factors – application date, urgent status, how many building selections, types of buildings chosen, vacancy rates, unit size etc. 

How much rent can I expect to pay?

RGI rent is based on 30% of your household gross monthly income. Additional charges may apply depending on whether utilities are included.  If you are receiving assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, your rent is based on a pre-determined rent scale.

Who do I notify if I need to report changes to my housing application?

You must notify the Housing Access Centre of any changes to your application such as changes to your mailing address, phone number, income, household composition etc. An Annual Update will be mailed to you every two years to request updated information in order to remain eligible on the waitlist. 

Does the Housing Access Centre provide emergency housing?

No, the Housing Access Centre does not provide emergency housing - emergency shelters provide emergency housing.  You may also contact Homeless Prevention Coordinated Access at 519-661-4663 for additional resources and referrals.

How will I be contacted for an offer?

The housing providers will contact you directly by phone when you reach the top of the wait list for one of the buildings you have selected.  It is important to maintain contact with the Housing Access Centre to keep your application up-to-date with current contact information so that providers are able to reach you in a timely manner.

What happens if I cannot be reached?

Providers will attempt to reach you and will leave messages, if appropriate. You will have 48 hours to respond.   If you cannot be reached within 48 hours, the provider will contact the next person on the list.

How many refusals of offer do I get?

As of January 1, 2021, applicants will only receive one offer of RGI housing.  If you do not accept this offer, you will be removed from the social housing waitlist.  This rule applies to all applicants on the waitlist and only applies to units that you have chosen on your building selection list.

I do not have an income -   am I eligible for RGI housing?

No. Individuals who are 16 years or older who apply for RGI housing must be in receipt of income to qualify for RGI housing.  You will be asked to apply for Ontario Works social assistance if you do not qualify for any other source of income.

Can I apply for RGI housing if I own a home?

Yes, you may be eligible for RGI housing however you must agree to sell your home or property within six months of moving into an RGI unit. A Divestment Form must be signed and included with your application. 

What bedroom size would I be eligible for?

The unit size is determined by our local rule regarding occupancy standards.

  • One bedroom for any two member who are spouses
  • One bedroom for each additional member of the household

Additional bedrooms may be approved with supporting documentation based on extensive medical equipment, joint custody of a child or the need for a part-time caregiver.

Can a housing provider choose not to offer me an RGI unit?

As per the Housing Services Act, 2011, a provider may choose not to offer you a unit based on 5 reasons:

  1. Household does not meet the building provider’s mandate - For example: 40 yr old applied to a Senior’s building.
  2. Housing provider has reasonable grounds to believe household will be unable to pay the rent (Ex. Household has previous history of not paying rent to another social housing provider and has outstanding arrears.)
  3. The housing provider is a co-op and the household is unable to accept the co-op responsibilities (Ex. Household member has many medical issues preventing them from contributing.)
  4. The unit will be a shared living situation and provider believes it is not reasonable grounds for the household to reside in a shared accommodation. (Ex. Household is not a good fit with others in the shared living arrangement.)
  5. Within the past 5 years, a member of the household has had their previous RGI tenancy terminated due to a serious offence and provider has reasonable grounds to believe that the household would pose a risk to the safety of one of more at the housing project.

What could make me ineligible for RGI housing?

As per the Housing Services Act, 2011, you could be made ineligible for rent-geared-to-income housing if you or any member of the household owes arrears (including money for damages) to a rent-geared-to-income unit, and if your income level is above the household income limits as per O. Reg 298/01 S. 8.

If I owe arrears to a previous social housing provider, will I still qualify for RGI?

If you have outstanding arrears with a social housing provider, you must enter into a repayment agreement with the landlord and maintain your payments in order to remain eligible for social housing.

Please Note: A housing provider is able to refuse to offer a social housing unit if they have reasonable grounds to believe, based on the incoming household’s rental history, that the household may fail to fulfil its obligations to pay rent.  A housing provider may use outstanding rental arrears as evidence to suggest that the same household could fail their rent obligations in the future if they are offered another unit.  

What additional statuses can you apply for when submitting an RGI application?

There are 3 statuses that you may apply for if you meet the following criteria:

  • Special Priority - For individuals and families who were victims of abuse by an individual who they lived with and whose personal safety is significantly at risk or for victims of human trafficking.
  • Urgent Homeless:  For individuals and families who are homeless or at serious risk of homelessness,
  • Urgent Medical:  For those with a terminal illness, those who need to re-locate to London for medical treatment and those who have a physical disability which prevents them from living in their current residence
  • Urgent Social:  For those experiencing serious harassment where their personal safety is at risk.  

I need housing right away - what should I do?

The Housing Access Centre does not provide emergency housing but staff can refer you to community resources to assist in your housing search while you wait for social housing.  If you are in immediate need, you may contact Homeless Prevention Coordinated Access at 519-661-4663.  This team works with individuals and families to prevent and divert from an experience of homelessness by connecting you to financial, social services and natural supports. 

What does it mean to be “over-housed’?

If you are living in a unit that is too large for your household (as per the local occupancy standards), your household will be considered “over-housed”. Your provider will notify you in writing if you are considered over-housed.  

After 12 months from the date you were notified that you were over-housed, you will be required to re-apply to the waitlist and select a minimum of five (5) housing preferences (not including your current housing location).  Every year that you continue to be over-housed, you will be required to select 5 more building selections, up to a maximum of 20 building selections.

If I am living in a rent-geared-to-income housing, can I move to another location?

If you would like to move from your current RGI unit, you may ask for an internal transfer directly through your housing provider.  If you would like to move outside of your housing provider’s portfolio, you must re-apply through the Housing Access Centre and  you will be placed on the waiting list based on a new application date.

If I am living in a rent-geared-to-income housing, can I be away for more than 90 days?

You must let your housing provider know if you intend to be away from your RGI unit for any extended amount of time. There are exceptions that may be made.  If you do not provide notice to your provider and are away for 90 days, you may lose eligibility for RGI.

Do you have to be living in the City of London to apply for housing?

No - you can apply for social housing in the City of London while living outside the city.

If you would like to apply for RGI housing outside of London, you will need to contact the local social housing agency in the city/town to apply – housing applications are not transferrable within municipalities.

Can I appeal any decision made by the Housing Access Centre regarding my application?

You may appeal certain decisions made by the Housing Access Centre. You may request an internal review if you disagree with: eligibility for RGI, size of unit, priority category, amount of RGI payable, eligibility for special needs housing.  If you disagree with a decision, you are required to complete a “Request for Internal Review” form within 10 business days of receiving eligibility decision.  A Request for Internal review decision will be processed within 10 business days and you will be notified in writing.

Where can I call for landlords and tenants issues?

The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) has a phone line where you can get general information about the Residential Tenancies Act, tenant’s rights and the LTB process. You may contact them toll-free at 1-888-332-3234.

What is the difference between subsidized housing and affordable housing?

Social housing or Rent-Geared-to-Income housing (also referred to as subsidized housing) is when your rent is determined by  your income.  Generally, the rent is based on 30% of your household gross monthly income.

The affordable housing projects in the city are buildings that have received funding from the City of London to assist developers in creating more affordable housing. The rental units in these buildings are made available to the general public at a low-end average market rate.  In order to apply for these buildings, you must apply directly through the property manager of the building.  The Housing Access Centre does not maintain a waitlist for Affordable Housing Buildings.

For more information about the Housing Access Centre, you may contact 519-661-0861 or email the team at 



Social housing provider tools

As a social housing provider you have access to a variety of tools and supports from the housing team. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to the Housing Team.

If you would like a copy of the Subsidy Estimation Form and Annual Information Return Form, please email

Housing division notices

Housing Division Notices or HDNs are policies, procedures and directives established by the service manager to ensure consistent program delivery. If you have any questions regarding these HDNs, please reach out to the housing team.

Housing Division Notices

HDN 254 Vacancy Loss (Replaces HDN # 2014-206)

HDN 253 In-Situ Policy (Replaces HDN # 2005 – 88 & HDN # 2002 - 36)

HDN 252Arrears’ Policy Regarding Eligibility for Rent-Geared-To-Income (RGI) Subsidy  (Replaces HDN # 2003 – 50)

HDN 2502021 Revenue and Cost Indices  Attachments  (Replaces HDN # 2020 – 247)

HDN 249 Local Rule – Maximum Household Income (Replaces HDN # 2020 – 245).

HDN 248 - Refusal of Offer

HDN 247 Revenue and Cost Indices Attachment (Replaces HDN 2019-240)

HDN 246Calculating Minimum Rent

HDN 244 - Updated Income & Assets Review Form  Attachment (Replaces HDN 2015-215)

HDN 243 - Social Assistance, Pension & Tax Credit Rates for January, February & March 2020 (Replaces HDN 2019-241)

HDN 255 - 2022 Rent Increase Guideline (Replaces HDN # 2019 – 239)

HDN 210 - New Excluded Income for Rent Geared-to-Income Calculation

HDN 207 - Fluctuating Income Policy

HDN 204 - Carbon Monoxide Alarms (Replaces HDN 2014-202)

HDN 200 - New Mandatory Health & Safety Training

HDN 196 - Subsidy Surplus Fund

HDN 194 - Notices and Reviews of Decisions

HDN 193Local Standard for Multi-Year Financial Plans

HDN 192 - Local Standard Leases-Occupancy Agreements

HDN 191 - Local Standard for Property Management

HDN 190 - Local Standard for the Remuneration of Directors

HDN 189 - Local Standard for Board Meetings

HDN 188 - Local Standard -Conflict of Interest (Replaces HDN 2002-03)

HDN 183 - Housing Provider Annual Information Return & Reporting Requirements

HDN 181 - Local Rule - Maximum Absence from Unit (Replaces HDN 2002-27)

HDN 180 - Local Rule - Certain Convictions (Replaces HDN 2002-26)

HDN 178 - Local Rule - Ceasing to meet Occupancy Standards (Replaces HDN 2011-65)

HDN 177 - Local rule - Occupancy Standards (Replaces HDN 2005-85)

HDN 176 - Local Rule - Maximum Household Assets (Replaces HDN 2002-25)

HDN 174 - 2012 Ongoing Tenant Income Limits Sections 26 & 27 Housing Providers with Attachments

HDN 168 - Housing Services Act 2011

HDN 160 - Building Condition Assessments & Reserve Fund Studies

HDN 158 - Non-Income Producing Assets-Imputed Rate of Return (Replaces HDN 2009-152)

HDN 148 - Reporting for Audited Financial Statements & Annual Information Return Exceptions to Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP)

HDN 147 - Reporting for Audited Financial Statements & Annual Information Return  Exceptions to Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP)

HDN 146 - Local Rule for Adding to Original List of Housing Preferences (Replaces HDN  2005-89)

HDN 140 - Market Revenue & Vacancy Loss Recognition - Federal

HDN 138 - Preventative Maintenance Management

HDN 138 Attachments

General Maintenance Schedule - Apartment

General Maintenance Schedule - Townhouse

Inspection Checklist - Apartment

Inspection Checklist - Townhouse

Maintenance Request Form

The Housing Division is able to modify the above standard forms to suit individual needs. Please contact 

 HDN 134 - Capital Expenditure & Reserve Guide   Attachment   

HDN 131 - Updated Guide to Rent Geared-to-Income Assistance  Attachment   

HDN 129 - Asbestos Management Program 

HDN 127 - Local Rule on Household Income Limits for Federal Non-Profit Section 95  Projects Only.

HDN 126 - Tracking of Federal Housing Providers' Former Tenant Rent Arrears

HDN 125 - Subsidy Estimation Request Form (Replaces HDN 2002-10) Attachment

HDN 122 - Change to Funding Model Under the Social Housing Reform Act, 2000

HDN 118 - Business Continuity Plan Attachment

HDN 114 - Residential Tenancies Act 2006

HDN 108- Federal Universal Child Care Benefit

HDN 106 - Rent Arrears - Tracking by the Housing Access Centre Attachments

HDN 102 - Information Reporting Form   Attachments

HDN 100 - Amendment to the Ontario Fire Code Regarding Smoke Alarms

HDN 99 - Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)  Attachment

HDN 98 - Refusal to Offer

HDN 97 - External Transfer of a Current Tenant from one Housing Provider to Another

HDN 90 - Local Selection Priority Rules (in addition to the provincially legislated eligibility rules. Replaces HDN 2002-39)

HDN 87 - Local Rule for Internal Transfer (Update to HDN 2002-34)

HDN 81 - Domestic Hot Water Tanks

HDN 80 - Rent Arrears - Tracking by the Housing Access Centre

HDN 74 -   Rent Inflation Factor to be used in the Calculation of Minimum Market Rent in 2005 Fiscal Year    Attachment           

HDN 73 - Asbestos Potential Health Risk due to Asbestos in Loose Fill Vermiculite Insulation 

HDN 69 - Classifying & Reporting Maximum Rent Households During the 12 month Eligibility Period     

HDN 68 - Application of Maximum (Market) or Minimum Rent

HDN 66 - Adding Members to Existing Rent Geared-to-Income Assisted Households

HDN 59 - Independent Living Assessment Form   Attachment

HDN 55 - Subsidy Disbursement Policy

HDN 49 - Record of Refusal to Offer

HDN 48 - Housing Special Notice

HDN 35 - Local Rule for Divestment of Residential Property

HDN 30 - Market Rent Analysis Form   Attachment

HDN 29 - Part V Service Agreement Companion Document - Attachment available upon request

HDN 24 - Policy on Rent Recalculation

HDN 23 - Policy on Time Requirement to Report Changes Affecting Rent Geared-to-Income

HDN 22 - Policy on Rent Geared-to-Income Increases

HDN 21 - Policy on Pursuit of Income for Rent Geared-to-Income Eligibility

HDN 20 - Communication to Members   Attachment

HDN 19 - Communication to Tenants

HDN 18 - Guest Policy for Households

HDN 14 - Procedures on Obtaining Ministerial Consent ( attachment available upon request)

HDN 9 - Operating Framework

HDN 7 - Internal transfers

HDN 5 - File Retention

HDN 2 - Corporate Requirements - Operating Agreement

HDN 1 - Housing Division Notices and Administration                        


Applicant update form

Housing provider forms are submitted directly to the Housing Access Centre to maintain the integrity of the coordinated access system.

Update Form

Housing Resident Update

Financial administration

Below are guides, templates and forms used to report annual financial information.

Financial Guides, Templates & Forms
Annual Information Return Forms

Annual Information Return Guide

Annual Information Return Submission Checklist

Accountant Report with Appendix

Auditor Confirmation Template for Federal Non-Profit Housing Providers

If you would like a copy of the  Annual Information Return Form, please email

Subsidy & Capital Budget Estimation Forms

As part of the Subsidy/Budget approval process, the Housing Division has designed a new Subsidy Estimation Request Form for both mixed and 100% RGI Provincial Reform Non-Profits and Co-operatives.  The process is to provide information necessary to estimate annual subsidy/budget. Housing Providers please fill out the Subsidy Estimation Request Form below for approval.  Once complete, please ensure the form is signed for approval by two members of the Board of Directors and forwarded to the City of London, Housing Division as noted in the Subsidy Estimation Request Form Guidelines below.

Subsidy Estimation Request Form Guidelines

Application Request for Replacement Reserve Fund Expenditure

If you would like a copy of the Subsidy Estimation Form, please email

Lower End of Market Rent Request Form

Federal operating agreements require the City of London Housing Division to review and approve rental charges submitted by Section 95 Federal Non-Profit housing providers annually. Section 95 Federal Non-Profit housing providers are to complete the form below and email, mail or fax it to the Housing Division six months prior to the proposed rental increase effective date.

Lower End of Market Request Form




Last modified:Thursday, September 02, 2021