Information for tenants

The role of the Provincial Landlord and Tenant Board

Enforcement of the Residential Tenancies Act

In Ontario,  the Provincial Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB) enforces the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA), which governs the tenant-landlord relationship.

The role of the LTB is to provide tenants and landlords information about their rights and responsibilities under the RTA, and to resolve disputes between both groups.  This includes the rules about:

  • Evictions and how to manage them
  • Leases and how to read them
  • Rent increases
  • Responsibilities of the tenant
  • Landlord maintenance obligations
  • Conflict resolution

Please be aware that the City of London does not enforce the Residential Tenancies Act nor participate in the Landlord & Tenant Board.  These are matters of the Province.

More information

More information can be found on the following webpages:

The role of the City of London:


Although the Residential Tenancies Act and the Landlord & Tenant Board are administered and enforced by the Province, the City of London has a series of by-laws that ensure all properties - including rentals - maintain specific standards regarding heat, running water, ventilation, general repairs, and many other criteria.

Which by-laws are important for tenants, rentals, and residences?

The following is a list of the most commonly searched by-laws relating to rental properties:

View an alphabetical list of other by-laws .

How do I make a complaint or have the City of London inspect my unit?

The City of London can also investigate concerns you have about your unit, or building, through the Property Standards Request for Service process.

Step 1: Inform the Property Manager:

If you have concerns about your rental unit or the building or property, the first step to resolving that problem is to tell the property owner/manager about it.  When you do, it is worthwhile to tell them in writing*.  If the property owner/manager fails to communicate with you, or if the issue is not resolved within a reasonable amount of time, you may need to submit a complaint to the City of London (see page 4):

*Text messages or other electronic messages, emails, or an electronic form submitted through a website are all considered to be written – it does not have to be a letter mailed to the landlord.  Please keep a copy of all communication with the landlord, property owner, and/or property manager, as well as any forms you submit, or requests you make.  Proof of your requests and communications may be required as part of Step 2, or if you need to escalate the matter to the Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB).

Step 2: Submit a Request for Service:

Municipal Compliance Staff can help ensure your living conditions meet the standards set out in the by-laws.  However, for us to help you must submit a Request for Service (complaint) which includes personal information about you, your address, and all the information requested by our Staff on the phone, or through an emailed submission.

Note: It is recommended that before you make a request for service to the City of London you inform the landlord, property owner, or property manager about your concerns, and give them a reasonable amount of time to respond to you and/or fix the issue.  See “Step 1” (above).

Please Be Aware: the City has the right to take no action on complaint considered to be invalid or which seem to be made for the purposes of provocation or other related motive(s).

Step 3: Investigation

After a “Request for Service” (complaint) is made, Municipal Compliance Staff (MLEO) will contact you (the tenant) to discuss your concerns in detail within a few days of receiving your call/email.

  • If it’s appropriate, a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer will inspect the premises to verify your concerns.
  • Staff will work with you to find a mutually suitable time to inspect the premises where necessary.  NOTE: Inspections must be scheduled weekdays between 8am and 4pm.
  • Staff will inform the property owner directly of any and all by-law infractions, and what the expectations are for fixing them.
  • You will be provided with the name and contact information for the MLEO so that you can follow-up with them about the status of the complaint.

Remember, it is your responsibility to communicate with the property owner or manager as soon as something within your unit becomes a concern.  You may be required to provide evidence of your communication(s) with the property owner.

Community supports and service partners: 

If you need any further help or assistance navigating the different procedures, or access to resources during the process, there are many local and Provincial resources and groups that can help:

City of London Housing Access Centre

London ACORN


Mission Services London

Neighbourhood Legal Services, (London & Middlesex)

St. Leonard’s Community Services

Other Community Supports and Services including shelters, drop ins, mental health and addiction services, etc.

Last modified:Wednesday, September 06, 2023