Enforcement of the Sound By-law is split between the City of London and the London Police Service.
Read the by-law
The City of London recognizes that, at certain times, noise can negatively impact our quality of life and disturb household activities. When Municipal Compliance becomes involved, we hope that a resolution may be achieved which is satisfactory to all parties.
To learn more about different types of noise and how to formally submit a complaint view the page below:
Occupant noise complaints: London Police Services and the City of London Municipal Compliance Office partner to address concerns regarding noise generated by occupants on a premise (parties and loud music for example). To register a complaint please contact the police non-emergency line at 519-661-5670. Police will triage the call and either attend themselves or refer the matter to the City for response.
Dog barking and Construction Noise: To register a complaint about excessive noise such as construction outside of the exemption period, persistent noise such as barking dogs or noisy mechanical equipment such as an air conditioner or pool pump email Enforcement@london.ca or call 519-661-4660. Upon receipt of a complaint, the following process takes place:
- A notice from Municipal Compliance is sent to the owner/occupant of the property where the concern is located. Sometimes, an owner/occupant may not be aware of a problem and receipt of notice will correct the issue.
- At the same time a notice and log sheet is sent to the complainant from Municipal Compliance. At this stage, all information with respect to the complainant (i.e. name, address) is kept strictly confidential. However, if the noise continues to negatively impact you, the City will require their involvement and cooperation to help bring closure to this matter.
- In order to gather evidence with respect to the noise which has been brought to our attention, the complainant is required to record the following information in the prescribed format:
- Type of noise which is disturbing (i.e. dog barking, machinery)
- how the noise is disturbing (i.e. trying to sleep)
- the location on their property when the noise disturbed
- visual information about the source of noise (observed dog barking, type of dog)
- time of day noise disturbed
- how long the noise disturbed
- Once the complainant has gathered the above information as prescribed in the notice, they are requested to contact our office to discuss enforcement action. Please note, that a formal complaint must be registered and notices sent out by Municipal Compliance in order to proceed with enforcement action. This ensures the occupant/owner has ample opportunity to take mitigating measures.
- The information collected will be entered as evidence if by-law charges commence. Should the penalty issued escalate to an appeal hearing, the complainant will be required to testify on the evidence collected in the presence of the occupant/owner of the property from which the noise has disturbed them. The complainant may also be asked questions by the alleged violator or their legal representative with respect to the evidence collected.
At the discretion of Municipal Compliance the same process may be applied to other noise disturbances as well.
How to Obtain a Temporary Sound Permit
A temporary sound permit application may be made for sound coming from a construction site, a community event, an outdoor patio or live speech. Review the appropriate application below to identify the required documentation and submit the application package to the City of London Licensing office.
Approved locations for Temporary Sound Permit
The following locations have approval for exemption from the Sound By-law for sound resulting from a community event, construction work, or amplified sound coming from an outdoor patio:
|403 Thompson Road||April 2022 to June 30, 2022||April 14, May 4, May 16 and May 27, 2022||7:00 a.m. to 12:00 (midnight)|
|1350 Huron Street||August 27 to August 28||August 27, August 28||6:00 to 11:00 p.m.|
Approved locations for amplified sound from an outdoor patio
Amplified Sound from an Outdoor Patio 2022
|130 King Street||Simple Reflections for Artists||August 18, 19, 20, 2023||11 a.m. to midnight|
|18-1080 Adelaide Street North||Merla Mae Icecream Ltd.||July 23, 2023||3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.|
|Sackville Street @ Hamilton Road||Crouch Neighbourhood Resource Centre||July 29, 2023||11 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.|