Enforcement of the Sound By-law is split between the City of London and the London Police Service.
Occupant noise enhanced enforcement on Friday and Saturday evenings
City of London Municipal Law Enforcement Officers respond to noise complaints generated by occupants of a premise (parties and loud music, for example). This service is available on Friday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to the following Saturday morning until 3:00 a.m., and Saturday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to the following Sunday morning until 3:00 am.
To register a complaint where an occupant noise is disturbing you during the time frames stated above you may call 519-930-3517. Please listen to the message in its entirety, and in accordance with the instructions leave a voice message to initiate a complaint investigation.
If you call the number above before 7:00 p.m., or after 2:30 a.m., and listen to the entire message, the call will automatically transfer to London Police Service.
If at any time the noise of concern is related to a criminal or unlawful activity please report this to London Police Services at 519-661-5670 (automatic call transfer), but in the case of an emergency hang up and call 911.
Noise notes (typically applies to dog barking and construction noise)
The City of London recognizes that at certain times, noise can negatively impact our quality of life and disturb household activities. When Municipal Law Enforcement Services (MLES) becomes involved, we hope that a resolution may be achieved which is satisfactory to all parties.
When a neighbourhood complaint is received regarding excessive noise such as construction noise outside of the exemption period or persistent noise such as barking dogs the process described below is used.
- A notice from MLES is sent to the owner/occupant of the property where the concern is located. Sometimes, an owner/occupant may not be aware of a problem and receipt of notice will correct the issue.
- At the same time a notice and log sheet is sent to the complainant from MLES. At this stage, all information with respect to the complainant (i.e. name, address) is kept strictly confidential. However, if the noise continues to negatively impact you, the City will require their involvement and cooperation to help bring closure to this matter.
- In order to gather evidence with respect to the noise which has been brought to our attention, the complainant is required to record the following information in the prescribed format:
- type of noise which is disturbing (i.e. dog barking, machinery)
- how the noise is disturbing (i.e. trying to sleep)
- the location on their property when the noise disturbed
- visual information about the source of noise (observed dog barking, type of dog)
- time of day noise disturbed
- how long the noise disturbed
- Once the complainant has gathered the above information as prescribed in the notice, they are requested to contact our office to discuss enforcement action. Please note, that a formal complaint must be registered and notices sent out by MLES in order to proceed with enforcement action. This ensures the occupant/owner has ample opportunity to take mitigating measures.
- The information collected will be entered as evidence if by-law charges commence. The complainant will be required to testify in court on the evidence collected in the presence of the occupant/owner of the property from which the noise has disturbed them. The complainant may also be asked questions by the alleged violator or their legal representative with respect to the evidence collected.
At the discretion of Municipal Law Enforcement Services the same process may be applied to other noise disturbances as well.
We hope this information has been of assistance to you and has clarified the City of London’s role in assisting citizens in resolving neighbourhood noise issues.
Other noise complaints
Not all noise disturbances are from occupant noise; some other common reasons Municipal Law Enforcement Services would become involved in enforcing the Sound By-law are:
- frequently barking dogs,
- noisy mechanical equipment such as an air conditioner or pool pump,
- construction noise.
If you are being disturbed by a noise listed above or something similar and would like to register a complaint, please call 519-661-4660 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How to Obtain a Temporary Sound Permit
A temporary sound permit application may be made for sound coming from a construction site, a community event, an outdoor patio or live speech. Review the appropriate application below to identify the required documentation and submit the application package to the City of London Licensing office.
Approved locations for Temporary Sound Permit
The following locations have approval for exemption from the Sound By-law for sound resulting from a community event, construction work, or amplified sound coming from an outdoor patio:
|403 Thompson Road||April 2022 to June 30, 2022||April 14, May 4, May 16 and May 27, 2022||7:00 a.m. to 12:00 (midnight)|
|1350 Huron Street||August 27 to August 28||August 27, August 28||6:00 to 11:00 p.m.|
Approved locations for amplified sound from an outdoor patio
Amplified Sound from an Outdoor Patio 2022
|50 Piccadilly St.||The Belfort||March 17, 2022||Live Music||1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.|
|130 King Street||Covent Garden Market||
July 22, 2022; July 23, 2022; August 12, 2022; August 13, 2022
|Live Music||2 p.m. to 11 p.m.|
|551 Windermere Road||Ivey Spencer Leadership Centre||May 1, 2022 to October 30, 2022||Live/Amplified Music||11:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight|
|731 Richmond Street||La Cucina||May 2022 to September 2022||Live/Amplified Music||Tuesday to Saturday 4:00 p.m. to midnight; Sunday 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|1101 Jalna Blvd.||Backdrafts Bar and Grill||May to September||Live Music||
Fridays 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m;
Saturdays 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
|130 King Street||Covent Garden Market (Event: Electric Market)||July 9 and July 30, 2022||Live DJs||4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.|
|350 Ridout Street South||Through Thick and Thin Pizza||May 28, 2022||Live DJ||3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|3-1770 Ernest Avenue||Dejavu Shisha Lounge||
May 2022 to mid November 2022
|Outdoor Patio||Monday to Saturday 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and Sunday 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|785 Wonderland Road South||Food Festival – Westmount Parking Lot||May 27 to May 29, 2022||Live DJ||Friday 3:00 p.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday 2:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.; Sunday 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|795 Dundas Street||Aeolian Hall and Russel Hendrix Parking Lot||June 18 and June 19, 2022||Outdoor live music||
Saturday 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 5:00p.m.
|656 Dundas Street||Union Ten Distillery Co||June to September 2022||Outdoor Music||4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Friday and Saturday)|
|130 King Street||Covent Garden Market - Beerfest||June 24, 25, 26||Outdoor Music||Friday 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., Saturday 12:00 p.m. to midnight, and Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.|
|149 Wortley Road||Old Sound Village Pub||June to October 2022||Outdoor live music||Friday, Saturday and Sunday (the odd weekday) 12:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|353 Talbot Street||
Early Bird and Holy Diver
|June to October||Outdoor Live Music||
11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Thursday to Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
|238 Dundas Street||Lavish Nightclub||June to October||Outdoor Music||9:00 p.m. to 12 midnight, Saturday: 9:00 p.m. to 12 midnight, Sunday: 4:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.|
|1276 Commissioners Road West||Royal Canadian Legion||August 13, 2022||Outdoor Music||2:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.|
|421 Ridout Street N.||Museum London (back terrace)||July to September||Outdoor Music||Thursdays 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.|
|611 Richmond St.||Dos Tacos||August 14, 2022||Live DJ||12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.|
|1958 Storybook Lane||Storybook Gardens||August 17, 2022||Live Music||7 p.m. to 11 p.m.|
|50 Piccadilly Street||The Belfort||September 10, 2022||Live DJ||1 p.m. to 5:30 pm|