Damage to my property

Making a Claim

If you have incurred damage to your property, had an injury and/or you believe the City may be responsible, please follow the process below to send your claim to the City for consideration. In some situations, you are required to place the City on notice within 10 business days of the incident. We recommend that you inform the City as soon as possible.

The Municipal Act requires that the City receives notification in writing. To ensure that your claim meets the notice requirement, please forward your claim to the following address as soon as possible:

Risk Management Division
520 Wellington Street, Unit #1
PO Box 5035
London, ON  N6A 4L9
E-mail: Risk Management
Fax: 519-661-4631

Please Note: Payment for property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the City being found legally liable. 

We suggest that in all cases of damage that you also contact your insurance company or broker.

Claim Reporting Process

Complete the following form Public - Injury / Property Damage Report or prepare your notice of claim in writing, and ensure it contains the following information:

  • The name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number of the person making the claim;
  • The contact name, mailing address, e-mail, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim - if different from above;
  • The date, approximate time of the incident and exact location (address or closest intersection);
  • A brief description of what happened;
  • The type of damage or injury;
  • The name of any contractor involved (if known).

Please Note: Fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers. The City will prosecute all fraudulent claims to the full extent of the law.

Response Time

Upon receipt of your claim, the Risk Management Division will acknowledge your claim within two weeks. An investigation begins upon receipt of your claim and typically a final response will be sent within three weeks.

City Compensation for Your Costs

The City will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. Like most Canadian municipalities, the City of London only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public - who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

We suggest that you contact your own insurer regarding damages.  Depending on the situation, you may be eligible for more compensation from your insurers than you can recover from the City. If your insurer believes the City is liable, it will deal with the City on your behalf.

Please Note: It is important that you make efforts to minimize damage to your property. If you do not, you may be held responsible for part of the damage cost.

Whenever damage to City property is caused by a third party the Risk Management Division seeks recovery of the related costs from the responsible party (e.g., for damage to property such as street lights and hydrants).

Last modified:Friday, June 11, 2021