The 2022 outdoor movie nights program is now over. In 2022, we hosted 33 outdoor movie nights across the Forest City, with over 5,300 Londoners in attendance. Thank you for making these events so special. We can’t wait to see you in 2023.
Warm summer evenings are the perfect time to watch a movie outdoors. What’s even better is the opportunity to invite your neighbours and forge strong community bonds. An outdoor movie night is the perfect way to create community connections without the pressure and stresses of formalities. Just sit back and enjoy the show.
The application to host an outdoor movie night at your local park during the summer of 2023 will be available on this page on February 1, 2023. Please continue to follow the City’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for updates related to outdoor movie nights.
The program is available to residents and neighbourhood groups interested in hosting a free public movie night at their local park. Organizers are required to provide the film and promote the event to their neighbourhood. The City provides the equipment (screen, projector, media player, speakers), license for a public viewing and City staff members available on site during the event to assist with set-up and take-down.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-661-5336.
Guidelines to host
Who can apply?
Residents and neighbourhood-based groups only. Schools, school councils, faith-based organizations, places of worship, businesses or non-profit organizations may not apply.
What do residents have to do?
- Bring the DVD or the electronic version of the movie on a USB.
- Promote the event to the neighbourhood with posters, flyers, and on social media. We expect a minimum of 100 residents to attend.
- Be at the park by 7 p.m. on the day of the event with the movie.
What does the City of London do?
- Book the park and provide insurance for the event.
- Purchase the license to publically screen the movie.
- Print posters/flyers for resident promotion if requested.
- Provide all necessary equipment; staff the event; set up and tear down the equipment.
- Determine cancellation of a movie due to weather (rain dates not guaranteed).
When can outdoor movies take place?
- Movie nights run from June to September.
- There are a limited number of movie nights each season, based on availability of resources.
- A resident or group may only apply for one outdoor movie night per year.
- City staff begin setup at 7 p.m., and the movie begins at dusk.
Where can an outdoor movie take place?
- Outdoor Movie Nights can only take place in City of London parks and green spaces.
Other important information
The license companies control whether the movie requested is available for a license on a specific date.
Insurance coverage begins one hour prior to the movie beginning or when City staff arrive.