Hazard identification and risk assessment

In London, we are fortunate to live in a relatively safe region of Canada. However, that does not mean that we are immune to the possibility of a large-scale emergency.

Disasters and emergencies are unpredictable. They can strike anytime and anywhere. Often they occur with very little warning. Although the likelihood that one will occur in our area may seem like a remote possibility, our region of Ontario is susceptible to severe storms, flooding, winter blizzards, and tornadoes.

A hazard identification and risk assessment study conducted by the City of London has identified the following potential hazards in our region:

Severe weather and other meteorological events

  • Snow and ice storms
  • Extreme temperatures
  • Severe thunderstorms, windstorms, tornadoes, floods, brush fires

Major Accidents

  • Hazardous materials incidents
  • Fires and Explosions
  • Transportation accidents (road and air) and train derailments
  • Water contamination

Technological Failures

  • Extended power outages
  • Communications and network interruptions
  • Bank system failures

Disease Outbreaks

  • Widespread health emergencies
  • Human or animal borne diseases
  • Influenza and pandemic

Intentional Acts

  • Arson
  • Crime
  • Protests and civil unrest
  • Terrorism

The City of London works with area railways to understand the types of goods their trains carry through London. The Canadian Pacific and Canadian National have made available a list of dangerous goods flowing through each municipality. The City and railways have held joint emergency planning exercises and training to improve response capabilities. The City also has emergency response plans specific to the rail lines and their operations in London.

2018 CP list of dangerous goods

 

2018 dangerous goods shipments in London

Proper shipping name

% of dangerous goods shipments locally

Alcohols

61.41%

FAK - contains dangerous goods

5.18%

Liquefied petroleum gases

3.60%

Sulfuric acid

2.32%

Petroleum gases, liquefied 

2.28%

Elevated temperature liquid

2.19%

Gasoline

1.68%

Flammable liquid

1.60%

Environmentally hazardous substance liquid

1.47%

Alcoholic beverages

1.46%

Other

16.81%

These top 10 products comprise 83.19% of the dangerous goods shipments in London. The remaining 16.81% are many different products, each comprising 1.46% or less of the total. 

2019 CN list of dangerous goods
2019 dangerous goods shipments in London
Proper shipping name % of dangerous goods shipments in London
Liquefied petroleum gases 35%
Sulfuric acid 13%
Diesel fuel 5%
Gasoline 5%
Petroleum crude oil 4%
Ethanol and gasoline mixture 4%
Vinyl chloride, stabilized  3%
Elevated temperature liquid 2%
Ammonium nitrate, liquid 2%
Alcohols 2%
Others 26%

These top 10 products comprise 74% of the dangerous goods shipments in London. The remaining 26% are many different products, each comprising less than 2% of the total. Dangerous goods shipments account for 17% of the total shipments in London.

2020 CN list of dangerous goods
2020 dangerous goods shipments in London
Proper shipping name % of dangerous goods shipments in London
Liquefied petroleum gases 33%
Sulfuric acid 13%
Gasoline 7%
Petroleum crude oil 5%
Ethanol and gasoline mixture 5%
Diesel fuel 4%
Vinyl chloride, stabilized  3%
Ammonium nitrate, liquid 2%
Xylenes 2%
Elevated temperature liquid 2%
Others 24%

These top 10 products comprise 76% of the dangerous goods shipments in London. The remaining 24% are many different products, each comprising less than 2% of the total. Dangerous goods shipments account for 17.74% of the total shipments in London.

Last modified:Thursday, April 29, 2021