Information for voters

The next Municipal Elections take place on October 24, 2022.

Get on the Voter's List


Accessible voting

If you find voting using a paper ballot difficult, you can bring a friend or a relative to assist you with marking the ballot.  When you arrive at the poll, be sure to tell the greeter you have someone assisting you.  Your friend/relative will need to take an oath affirming they will mark the ballot according to your instructions, and they can then proceed with you through the polling station and behind the voter's screen where the ballot is marked.

For anyone requesting interpreters or curbside voting or requiring other accessible options, please email or call 519-661-4535 as early as possible in order for us to have time to make arrangements.

The Voters' List

The Voters' List is just what it sounds like - a list of the people living in a municipality who are eligible to vote. 

Make sure you are on the list, confirm that your information is accurate and update any information that may not be current:

Check to see if your name is on the list

Eligible voters whose names are on the list will receive a Voter Notification Card in the mail in late September/early October.  This card will let you you know where to vote on October 24. Be sure to bring it with you when you go to vote - whether you're voting at an Advance Poll location or on Voting Day.

What to bring with you to vote

Identification is required when you vote. You will need to show ID which contains your name and address. You may have to show two pieces of ID to accomplish this.

Please bring an original, or certified/notarized copy, of any of the following documents:

  • Ontario driver’s licence
  • Ontario Health Card (photo card)
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
  • cancelled personalized cheque
  • mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
  • insurance policy or insurance statement
  • loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
  • document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
  • any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
  • any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
  • income tax assessment notice
  • child tax benefit statement
  • statement of employment insurance benefits paid T4E
  • statement of old age security T4A (OAS)
  • statement of Canada Pension Plan benefits T4A (P)
  • Canada Pension Plan statement of contributions
  • statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works
  • statement of direct deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board statement of benefits T5007
  • property tax assessment
  • credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
  • CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • hospital card or record
  • document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
  • document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
  • utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
  • cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
  • transcript or report card from a post-secondary school
Who can vote?

In order to be eligible to vote, you must meet the Qualifications of Electors as listed in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, s.17(2)

A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality if, on voting day, he or she,

  • resides in the local municipality or is the owner or tenant of land there, or is the spouse of such owner or tenant;
  • is a Canadian citizen;
  • is at least 18 years old; and
  • is not prohibited from voting under subsection (3) or otherwise by law.

All you need to do is show up to vote on Election Day at your designated poll with identification.

Student voting

Students are allowed to vote in both their home municipality and the municipality where they are attending school.

Who can make contributions to a candidate's campaign?

Any person who is a resident of Ontario can make a contribution to a candidate’s campaign or contribute to a third party advertiser to help fund their advertisements. You may contribute a maximum of $1,200 to a single candidate. You may also contribute a maximum of $1,200 to a third party advertiser. These amounts include the value of any goods or services donated to the campaign. You may not contribute more than $5,000 in total to candidates running for offices on the same council or school board, or to third party advertisers who are registered in the same municipality. If you want to contribute to a candidate or third party advertiser, you should make sure that you know what the contribution limits are and keep track of your donations to ensure that you don’t end up giving more than is permitted.

Groups, such as neighbourhood associations and clubs, or professional associations, such as fire or police associations, are not eligible to make financial contributions to candidates or third party advertisers. Members may contribute individually.

Voter's Guide

The Province of Ontario releases a Voters' Guide for every municipal election. This guide provides information to voters for the 2022 municipal council and school board elections, and the information also applies to any by-elections that may be held during the 2022-2026 council and school board term.

2022 Voters' Guide

Ward Map


Last modified:Tuesday, June 14, 2022